Which ELP programs are eligible for an F-1 Student visa?
Full-time students in the following ELP programs are eligible for F-1 student visas (Form I-20):
- Intensive Program
- University Connection and University Connection Plus
- Global Citizen Study Abroad Program
- Institute for Academic Studies
- Institute for Business Communication
If a student is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States they do not need a visa for these programs.
Students in the following programs are not eligible for F-1 visas (Form I-20):
- Part-time study
How do I receive a Form I-20 for an F-1 Student visa?
The University of Pennsylvania issues a Form I-20 for study at the English language Programs. The Form I-20 is used by the student to apply for the F-1 student visa. We encourage all students to apply early to allow enough time for the visa process.
- Complete the enrollment form.
- Send all required documents along with the enrollment form.
- Upon receipt of these documents, the ELP will request a Form I-20 for you.
- Within one week, the ELP will mail you a Welcome Letter and your Form I-20 via express mail service.
- Review your Form I-20 to make sure all information matches your passport. Then, sign and date the Form I-20.
- If you have any concerns about your Form I-20, please contact the ELP.
Please note: If you enter the U.S. using a Form I-20 from the University of Pennsylvania English Language Programs, you must report to the ELP upon arrival in the U.S.
How do I apply for an F-1 Student visa?
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security outlines the procedures to apply for an F-1 student visa. Please visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website for additional details.
How do I maintain my immigration status after arrival?
F-1 visa holders must comply with certain regulations. Learn more at http://global.upenn.edu/isss/elp.