Which ELP programs are eligible for an F-1 Student visa?
Full-time students in the following ELP programs are eligible for F-1 student visas (Form I-20):
- Intensive Program
- University Connection and University Connection Plus
- Institute for Academic and Professional Studies
If a student is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States they do not need a visa for these programs.
Students in the following programs are not eligible for F-1 visas (Form I-20):
- Part-time study
How do I receive a Form I-20 for an F-1 Student visa?
The University of Pennsylvania issues a Form I-20 for study at the English language Programs. The Form I-20 is used by the student to apply for the F-1 student visa. We encourage all students to apply early to allow enough time for the visa process.
- Complete the enrollment form and send all required documents (copy of passport, financial support documentation, and electronic photo) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are a self-pay student, you will be required to send a non-refundable $400 deposit ($90 enrollment fee and $310 tuition deposit) via wire transfer.
- Upon receipt of these documents, the ELP will provide you with a testing code. All students entering the Intensive Program at the ELP must take this test before they are sent their I-20s. Applicants scoring below level 300 on our pre-arrival placement test will not be admitted and will receive a full refund.
- If an applicant scores at level 300 or above, the ELP will request a Form I-20 for you.
- Within one week, the ELP will e-mail you a Welcome Letter and your Form I-20 to the e-mail address provided on the enrollment form.
- Review your Form I-20 to make sure all information matches your passport. Then, print and sign the Form I-20 before travel to the United States.
- If you have any concerns about your Form I-20, please contact the ELP.
Please note: If you enter the U.S. using a Form I-20 from the University of Pennsylvania English Language Programs, you must report to the ELP upon arrival in the U.S.
How do I apply for an F-1 Student visa?
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security outlines the procedures to apply for an F-1 student visa. Please visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website for additional details.
How do I maintain my immigration status after arrival?
F-1 visa holders must comply with certain regulations. Learn more at the International Student and Scholar Services website.