ITA Certification

If you are a native speaker, your department must complete the Certification Form for you and forward it to the office of the Provost.

Please complete the University of Pennsylvania Certification Form for English Fluency for Undergraduate Instructional Personnel here.


If you are a non-native speaker with proof of English fluency (i.e. a 27/30 on the speaking section of the TOEFL iBT), you must request that our department complete a Certification Form on your behalf at this link: ITA Fluency Certificate Request.

If you have any questions about the certification process, please read our FAQs, or contact us at


Am I a native speaker?

Determining an individual’s speaking status can be a complex question. For example, being a native speaker of English is different than being a heritage speaker or having native-like fluency. Because the purpose of Fluency Certification is to maintain Penn’s compliance with state law, the English Language Programs employs a narrow definition in this context, out of caution. To that end, native speakers are individuals who used English as their principal language in school starting in the primary grades and continuing through graduation in a country where English is the dominant language.

If this is true for you, you can work with your department to complete the certification form.

If you or your department are uncertain of your language status, the safest course of action is to register for the Interactive Performance Test. The process is straightforward and quick, particularly if you are a confident user of English.