How do I get a driver's license?

In order to get a driver's license, you must have an I-20 that extends at least 6 months into the future.

If your I-20 is for the appropriate length of time, you can go to the ELP Main Office to request a letter that you will need to take to the Social Security Card Center. With the letter from the ELP, you will be able to get a Social Security Number denial letter. You will need to take the Social Security Number denial letter, along with 2 forms of proof of residency, your immigration documents, and a medical exam DL-54A form, to the Driver's License Center. Once at the Driver's License Center, you will need to take three tests (vision, knowledge, and driving) to obtain a driver's license.

Please visit the ELP Main Office for more details.

Need Help?